In Pursuit of the Perfect Gluten-Free Bagel: Udi’s New Options
by Max Librach
Ask almost anyone who has transitioned from eating gluten to a gluten-free diet what they miss most, and it is likely that they'll say it was hard to get rid of bread.
Dig a bit deeper and you will often hear that bagels were the biggest challenge. This is because bagels have really become part of the everyday breakfast options. They are a food that kids love and something that adults can easily eat on their way to work or as they sit at their desks. They make perfect mini-pizzas, afternoon snacks, and ideal vehicles for any sort of sandwich filling.
They are a true gluten-free bummer!
The problem is that they are a very gluten-dense food and are a definitive "no no" when you live with celiac disease or gluten intolerance. Fortunately, there is Udi's...
This is a beloved gluten-free brand that offers some of the most convincing bagels around. By "convincing" we mean that you can hardly distinguish them from, say, the bagels you would get in a bakery found in Brooklyn, NY (though they are based in Colorado!).
Currently they offer five flavors:
- Cinnamon Raisin: The ideal flavor combination is now back in the gluten-free diet. Not overly sweet and packed with lots of chewy goodness, this is a perfect snacking food as well as a great meal.
- Whole Grain: People on gluten-free diets are often challenged to get enough fiber and whole grains, and this bagel is a good solution. Spread this with a bit of hummus, and it is a nearly perfect food.
- Plain: Pop it in the toaster, add butter or cream cheese, and, well, enough said...
- The Mighty Bagel: One of two new flavors, this one is designed to help gluten-free eaters get the nutrients that their diets tend to miss. Each bagel is enriched with added protein, fiber, and vitamins. Yes, a mighty bagel will make a mighty meal or snack.
- Everything Inside: Why can't a gluten-free eater still enjoy one of the "everything" bagels? This flavor provides that wonderful combination of onion, seeds, garlic, egg, and more. Toast it with a bit of butter, and you will feel as if you have gone to bagel bliss.
Something to keep in mind about processed and non-gluten foods, however, is that they can often be void of many nutrients. Udi's has taken great pains to avoid this typical issue. These bagels have more than 3% of your daily fiber needs, contain less than 350 calories per serving, and avoid the sugars that many commercial bagels contain.
Instead, you can rely on any of Udi's gluten-free bagels as a great substitute for their gluten-rich cousins. They make ideal meals, sandwiches, or vessels for smoked salmon, cream cheese, or anything else you might partner with these chewy and doughy delights. Each bag has four servings, so be sure you purchase plenty!